Re: Topband: Cable shields

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Cable shields
From: "Bill Wichers" <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:28:37 -0400
I suspect the corroded foil would have little measurable effect on the
coax's shielding effectiveness for lower frequencies. The foil is
primarily there for the higher frequencies, the braid for the lower
frequencies (that's a generalization, but close).

I would be more concerned over how the foil became corroded since that
would seem to indicate water ingress into the cable somewhere. IMHO,
once water starts to get in things only get worse over time...

  -Bill

> Very good, Tom.
>
> I still wonder what the answer is to my earlier question (in late
June)
> about a flooded quad-shield coax with a corroded inner shield.
>
> I suspect with a bonded foil inner shield, not much would change.
>
> 73, Mike
> www.w0btu.com
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK