Re: Topband: Chokes, et. al.

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Chokes, et. al.
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 17:23:19 -0500
Hi Tom,

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com> wrote:

>  I'm in full agreement with this, unless we consider our shack computer
>> part of our "gear". :-)
>>

> The context of this was entirely "transmitter" RF cables, ...

Ok, understood.

> I also have a split core around my keyboard cable, to keep it from
>> radiating RFI.
>>

> That's a little odd. ...Are you sure you don't have a receiver system
> "leak" exaggerating problems?

Could very well be. Now to figure out how to track it down and solve it.

(FWIW, only one keyboard has ever done this; this is one is a mini "Alaska"
keyboard made by LiteOn, model SK-2690-2D.)

Maybe a bad box connector mounting method (like a plastic box with wires
> from RF connectors) or other RX system issues?

No plastic boxes, or --so far as I know-- anything like what you are
describing. However, there are some places on various HF bands that have
odd spurs, where there used to be none. Since we've changed nothing here, I
always assumed it was coming from a neighbor's house. Maybe a shield has
come loose somewhere in one of those cheap F connectors here.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK