Re: Topband: Connector installation on flooded cable

To: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Connector installation on flooded cable
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 08:46:11 -0400
On 07/21/2012 09:55 PM, Bill Wichers wrote:
> If you're in an area where DSL service is available try asking
> the foreman at your phone company's local service yard. Rural C
> wire is not a twisted pair so it is generally replaced when a
> customer orders newer service that uses higher frequencies than
> the POTS that the rural C wire was intended to support.

Wow! I always enjoy these bits of news from the rest of the world.
Around here, rural C wire is never replaced. If a new DSL customer
has problems, they will run a test on the line and try to solve it
by re-doing connections, etc. If that doesn't fix the problem it's
"We're sorry, but your phone line is not of sufficient quality to
support DSL. I'm afraid we cannot offer you DSL service. Have a nice
day."

I'm not saying the rural C wire drops are responsible for DSL
failures, only that a lot of folks who theoretically should be able
to get DSL can't, and replacing wire is not a strategy considered.

73,
Paul N1BUG

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK