Re: Topband: Beverage antennas

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage antennas
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 09:38:26 -0400
Yeah, so he says when the wire is new.  There is an ASSUMPTION that stuff
retains characteristic at RF over time when it was only designed for audio.

Have you ever noticed how pungent that stuff smells when you first pull it
off the roll.  That stuff cures over time.  Guys at Bell Labs had HUGE
fields planted with thousands of telephone poles, different wood, different
treatment, some in ground for decades and decades, TESTING real life
deterioration.

Some of that wire has been in the air since before I was born, carrying
audio.  That's what it was made for, tested for, certified for.

Maybe if Herb still has it, he can run a test on the strung out, "aged"
wire with a  450 ohm resistor on the far end of it, and get char impedance,
loss and velocity factor numbers on it.  It's been out there in the salt
air for a while now.

Herb???

73, Guy.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com> wrote:

> >From what I've read, the characteristics of WD-1x may vary quite a bit.
> It's interesting to read the results of the comparison that Herb did
> between some and open wire line back in 2008:
> http://lists.contesting.com/_topband/2008-12/msg00016.html
>
> As for low velocity factor, I think maybe that can actually help you if you
> don't have room for a full-size Beverage.
>
> 73, Mike
> www.w0btu.com

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK