Re: Topband: Beverage antennas

To: <donovanf@starpower.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage antennas
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 15:29:39 -0400
Ticks are a part of life in this area also and not all are hazardous.
The deer tick is the carrier of Lyme Disease in this part of New England but
not all of them are infected. That ticks favorite host is mice and when
their population is low, usually when winter kill is high, they go for deer.

With such a mild winter the ticks were out in droves in the spring and it is
the nymphs that are the most dangerous.

After researching Permethrin last fall I decided I didnt want that stuff on
my clothes or body and instead bought a concentrated 10% solution from a
local feed and grain store that caters to the horsey set. With that diluted
I then sprayed my usual paths out back to towers, storage sheds/trailers and
Beverage runs as well as a fairly generalized spraying of the 3/4 or so acre
I clearcut several years ago to promote wild blueberry, blackberry, and
huckleberry growth.

>From a start of 6-8 ticks per outing before spraying this spring to zero the
past few weeks plus the usual mortality rate Id say Ive got it under control
but certainly not eliminated. I also keep up an aggressive mouse elimination
campaign. The berry harvest has been extremely good this year which keeps
several members of my extended family busy picking as much as they want with
almost no ticks.

I also wear light colored clothes to be able to easier see the ticks as well
as a brimmed hat since they often drop from tree branches. From what Ive
read it takes 24 or more hours for one to burrow into the blood so a shower
should be mandatory well before that. Ive almost an acre of lawn around the
house with very little shade and have had only one tick to remove this year.
It is probably due to the low mice population as well as deer keeping their
distance. There are also a lot of wild turkey roaming the yard which may be
helping.

Note that Im only referencing deer ticks and not those found elsewhere to
carry various diseases.

Carl
KM1H