Topband: Lazy question concerning toroidal inductors

To: Toband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Lazy question concerning toroidal inductors
From: Tod Olson <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 08:29:22 -0600
I am sure [or at least I hope] I could sort through the information
available in books and on the web for the answer to this question, but
maybe someone reading this reflector can give me an 'instant' answer
[preferably correct].

I intend to use a powdered iron core toroid as the form for an inductor
which will be used in a matching network at the base of a vertical. The
wire size is #16. Since I have already fabricated and measured a couple of
these inductors, I know the number of turns needed to get 5.5 uH. I need
11 uH so I put two in series and the expected 11 uH was measured at the
frequency of interest.

The question I pose is:

Is it preferably to use two of these inductors in series or use two
stacked cores and the requisite number of turns to get 11 uH? The expected
current through the 11 uH  is about 3 amps if the Q is about 100. Will the
Q be different if there are two inductors or one inductor made using two
cores? [same size wire].

All comments are welcome. Even suggestions about where to search the web
for an answer or where to look in a book for the equations that will
resolve this matter. Or suggestions on where this has already been
discussed. Or suggestions on the steps to use to quickly get the answer.

I suspect that this is part of the 'lore' that has been developed which is
why I am asking the question rather than trying re-invent the solution
using first principles.

Tod, K0TO

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK