Re: Topband: Soldering in the wild!

To: "Milt -- N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>, <kazeringue@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Soldering in the wild!
From: "Bill Wichers" <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 14:13:46 -0400
Small C-taps are available that can be used as splices. Even the small
ones are usually for large(ish) (by antenna standards) wire, generally
8+ gauge. There may be smaller ones available. Common manufacturers are
T&B, Burndy, and Panduit. The smaller C-taps can be installed with a
mechanical (non-hydraulic) crimp tool that is around $100. The tool I
have appears to be the T&B "ERG2008" now (although mine is not that
exact model). These tools are commonly used in the telcom industry to
install compression lugs on 6-4 gauge DC power conductors, but they can
handle the small-size C taps too.

Burndy makes some taps that have the no-ox pre-applied, although I've
only ever seen those for 4 gauge and larger conductors (they are used
primarily for ground systems in places where cadweld can't be used).

   -Bill

> That said, split bolts are NOT in common use for load carrying
connections
> and haven't been for some 40+ years.  Most all connections, tension
and
> non-tension, are done with compression splices where the conductor
> grooves/holes are prefilled with oxide inhibitor.  Hand operated
hydraulic
> or compressed air/gas driven compression tools, with the correct die
for
> the
> type/size of connector, are utilized for making splices which will
> withstand
> mechanical and electrical loads at their rated values for the life of
the
> conductor.  The compression tools are quite expensive, but the
connectors
> themselves are relatively inexpensive.
>
> Mis dos centavos.
>
> Milt, N5IA