Re: Topband: 160m from 5X

To: Nick Henwood <nick@henwood.demon.co.uk>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m from 5X
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:22:56 -0700
Nick,

A 50ft tophat vertical is a good antenna. I would suggest that you put down
as many 135 ft long radials as possible, at least 25. If this is not
feasible, put down as may random lengths radials as you can.

The problem is that it is a vertical antenna and will be noisy,
particularly if you are in a populated area and near the equator. You will
hear hear the loud signals, but I'm guessing, not the sigs below S4. I
would suggest some sort of long wire for an RX antenna, perhaps a 300 ft
BOG, beverage on ground. You may have to roll it out in the evening, and
after sunrise, roll it up.

We will be looking for you from W6/W7 land. Working 5X on 160m will be
difficult, but on certain days condx will peak at your sunrise, and we
might be able to make it.

GL,

Ray,
N6VR
Near Prescott, AZ

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 6:43 AM, IZ5MOQ <iz5moq@rrdxa.eu> wrote:

> Hello Nick,
>
> nice to read you here and nice to know that you are on the way to put 5X
> on the TopBand.
>
> See you on the air, to complete our band slots on 80 and... 160.
>
> I do not give you any tech-advice because am novice too :), just my GL 'n
> see you there.
>
> 73
>
> Alessandro, IZ5MOQ
> DX'ing between the mountains!