Re: Topband: electrical wavelength

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: electrical wavelength
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:53:27 -0700
On 9/10/2012 9:23 AM, Jim Hoge wrote:
Let's do some quick math.... 234/1.82=128.57 gives us the length in feet of a
quarter wave at 1.820 mHz. Multiply that by a velocity factor ( say 85% for
LMR-400) and you get a length of 109.29 feet.

That math is a bit too simple, because Vf VARIES as function of frequency. The PUBLISHED Vf is for VHF, but the Vf is a few percent lower at 2 MHz. This happens with ALL transmission lines, and is predicted by Maxwell's Equations. For more on this, including measured data for coax similar to LMR400, see http://audiosystemsgroup.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf

Bottom line -- you MUST measure the coax AT THE OPERATING FREQUENCY to hit an exact half wave. An easy way to do this is with an analyzer like the MFJ259, which drives the line with a small manually tuned signal generator, short the far end, and tune the generator until you see the sharp null of the short. With your AIM, you need to short the far end and look for the null in the impedance around 160M. I don't know anything about the AIM unit you have, but you need a setting that provides the greatest detail around 2 MHz.

BTW -- there's a great piece of FREE software by AC6LA called zplots that takes S1P or S2P files from analyzers like the AIM units and computes plots all the fundamental characteristics of a transmission line that you have measured. It's an Excel spreadsheet. I just used it with the output of my DG8SAQ VNWA to plot Vf, Zo, and attenuation of some CATV hard line I inherited from a neighbor SK, and some vintage Times triax that I found at a hamfest. See the link below for a complete description and a link to download the spreadsheet. .

http://ac6la.com/zplots.html

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK