Re: Topband: Elevated Radials on Grounded Tower?

To: "'TopBand'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials on Grounded Tower?
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 22:10:51 -0400
I'm putting together a presentation which I think I'm going to call "Working 160M with limited antennas," or something like that. I've studied as much of the literature as I can find, including extensive work by W2FMI, K3LC, N6LF, W8JI, and K2AV. My intent is to distill it to the point that it isn't overwhelming and come up with some relatively simple guidelines that guys can use to get on the air and have fun.

That's a good idea. I wanted to run sensitivity tests of a few basic antennas to radial and counterpoise system changes, and eventually build an antenna or two.

I'm so far behind on work I don't know when I will be able to do that.

Whatever we do, I hope we all caution people models are models and can vary from life, and that empirical reports should be taken with a grain of salt.

There is a U-tube video right now of a helical wound small loop antenna that has 10 dB gain over a perfect zero-loss loop, and the CFA antenna and E-H antennas were "verified and supported" by many positive field reports even though they are absolute hoaxes.

I think a good article would be how to compare antennas with minimal effort and test equipment.

73 Tom
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK