Re: Topband: Ground Screens - Another Small Space Option

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground Screens - Another Small Space Option
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:59:34 -0400
The FCC only suggests screens with voltage-fed antennas. The exact text is:

(4) At the present development of the art, it is considered that where a vertical radiator is employed with its base on the ground, the ground system should consist of buried radial wires at least one-fourth wave length long. There should be as many of these radials evenly spaced as practicable and in no event less than 90. (120 radials of 0.35 to 0.4 of a wave length in length and spaced 3° is considered an excellent ground system and in case of high base voltage, a base screen of suitable dimensions should be employed.)

Brown, Lewis, and Epstein's study of ground system efficiency for RCA (Radio Corporation of America) didn't find anything especially beneficial using screens.

I've used screens when I needed a wide bandwidth ground system, but never under other conditions.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK