Re: Topband: Maritime gear programmable on ham bands?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Maritime gear programmable on ham bands?
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 14:42:14 -0400
Jeff, Amateur Radio units are indeed cheaper plus the people on 14.313 have declared that this is "their" emergency calling frequency 24/7. Even one of the ARRL SE Division candidates a few years ago made this one of his key advocacy points to have the IARU name it as such. Thank God he lost or he would be pushing this stupid idea at the ARRL as he promised to do.

There is already excellent spectrum for vessels to use monitor by international treaty by many other ships at sea. Yet the lure of a free phone patch to his property broker or bank to check on "is everything 10-4?" is enabled by amateurs who should know better on 14.313 who get green stamps sent to them in many cases for the devotion to this illegal practice.

Herb, KV4FZ