Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity
From: "Richard Fry" <rfry@adams.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 14:01:14 -0500
"Tom W8JI" wrote:
My point is that does not tell us what happens at the ionosphere.

If I just take a simple program like EZNEC, and use a small sense antenna out in the distance, the results follow the trend you posted from the helicopter. ... AFAIK, we do not have measurements of arrival angles useful for long distances or how lower angles from verticals might apply
to that.

Just to point out that we don't have measurements of arrival angles at the ionosphere proving the fields shown in a NEC far-field analysis, either. Yet people seem to accept a NEC far-field pattern as gospel, even though it does not accurately show the radiation launched by a monopole at elevation angles below 10 degrees or so.

R. Fry