Re: Topband: HFTA, Radio Arcala, general comments

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: HFTA, Radio Arcala, general comments
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:54:59 -0400
Radio Arcala - I have always believed that a horizontal antenna on 160m at very high latitudes would generally be worse (note that I didn't say always) than a vertical due to the effect of the Earth's magnetic field. How "theory" translates to "the real world" is always subject to careful consideration, but I've seen enough data in the technical literature to stand by my belief.>>>>

I think before I spent money like that, assuming I had the money, I would have asked around or maybe tried a simple high dipole for several weeks in comparison to a vertical.

I was regretful enough after installing a tall tower and using wire antennas. At one point I had a two element wire dipole phased array up at maybe 250-260 feet. When it fell down in an ice storm, I was relieved I didn't have to take it down.

All of that was based on my memory of how well a dipole worked on a ~350 ft tower. A few good signal reports corrupted my objectivity. :-)

73 Tom