Re: Topband: Antenna analysers in close proximity to BC station

To: "James Rodenkirch" <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna analysers in close proximity to BC station
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 08:19:12 -0500
So, I'm looking at setting a EWE antenna up - what happens if I simply make it a full loop? In other words, instead of driving 4' ground rods in at both ends I run a wire between the bottom of the terminating resistor and the matching balun.....I'm going to try the shorter version first - 10 feet up and 21 feet across so the full loop will be 62' of wire in that rectangular shape.

All EWE's, Flags, Pennants, K9AY's, and everything else are just small terminated loops. They all act like a pair of short verticals that have the cross-fire feedline phasing integrated into the horizontal conductor distance, with the vertical drops actually being the desired antennas.

You could run a wire across the bottom, except the antenna load and source are not symmetrically placed. This means you would have to ground the bottom wire to prevent the system from being negatively impacted by the asymmetrically of the load and source position.

73 Tom