Re: Topband: FCP

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>, Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>, TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP
From: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 18:24:02 -0700

Guy: great review of all that you did, as far as opting to go the "FCP route,"
and why.

I opted to go with sixty elevated radials and, like you, have some "proof" that
the decision worked for me as I just received my SO QRP #1 in the W7 section
certificate for the 2012 CQ WW 160 contest.

If I didn't have the option of positioning the base of my 43' vertical with 25'
top loading wires at the top of a sloping ground (the base of the vertical is,
in essence, 10' above the bottom of the wash below the sloped ground) and
running those elevated radials I would have gone the FCP route as all
indications are that "approach" is a winner.

 After working NH8S on 80 meters, SSB and CW with QRP power I feel like my
antenna system is a good as it'll be for some time! I guess I feel like I'm "in
play," albeit I'll never "win out" over the likes of N7IR, WD5R and VE3MGY - Hi
Hi

72, my friend - Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV