Re: Topband: Teflon Sleeving vs Heatshrink for the Homemade FCP

To: "'Jo, YC0LOW'" <yc0low@gmail.com>, "'Topband Reflector'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Teflon Sleeving vs Heatshrink for the Homemade FCP
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 07:50:09 -0500
> I am in the process of homebrewing the FCP system for my own station.
> I already had three toroids from Amidon, USA, safely, but I forgot to
> put the Teflon Sleeveing for the #12 AWG in my purchase order. list.
> I tried to contact the Amidon and they are very helpful by already
> quoting the price of 55ft teflon tubing plus shipping/handling (with
> USPS Priority mail) costs to my address in Indonesia. The amount is
> US$ 75 - rather high for a retired person like me :-))
> The wire is available here. But, since I cannot find the the Amidon
> teflon sleeveing in Jakarta, I wonder if the tubing can be substituted
> with other material to isolate the two wires on the toroid, for
> example: heatshrink sleeve.
> How would it be performing, please?

The stranded center conductor and dielectric from solid dielectric RG58 coax
has a breakdown voltage of over 5000 volts, if you need HV wire.

Teflon EE insulation wire is about the same.

Teflon is similar to many other plastics, except it handles heat better.

If voltage or heat at a low impedance feedpoint is so high you need a
special sleeve, that is a bit of a warning flag about system design. You
probably could use almost anything, including small plastic fuel line hose,
insulating spaghetti, or even tape.

Myself, I'd stay with the largest possible system that would fit the area.

73 Tom