Topband: Covered /bare antennn wire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Covered /bare antennn wire
From: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:42:46 -0800
Dry blowing snow or high wind can cause quite some voltage build up on a
antenna, especially a long one. It is possible to draw quite an arc to ground.
There have been reports of high voltage electrocutions from antenna static
build up in Short Wave Broadcast stations. A short stick was mandatory for
maintenance periods.
And yes, I did work at a shortwave station with 500 KW transmitter output.

So receiving antenna wire insulation could have some benefit if the voltage on
a bare wire is leaking to a tree limb or across an insulator. Beyond some point
all insulators can fail.

Indoor antennas do hear static, but I have never seen any evidence of voltage
build up. ( The building may provide adequate insulation.)

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever really done testing of voltage buildup on a
insulated antenna wire, VS a non-insulated wire ?
Indoor antennas VS outdoor antennas of equal size?

73
Bruce-K1FZ