Topband: High expectations for the Hi-Z

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: High expectations for the Hi-Z
From: "Mark Lunday" <mlunday@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 12:50:53 -0500
OK, I finally decided to stop complaining about my receive situation and DO
something about it.

Current scenario:  quarter-wave for 160, which is also used on 80.  64 foot
high dipole for 80 and 40.   DX = 87 worked on 160, 120 worked on 80, 180
worked on 40.  Goals = 9BDXCC (just need to get that on 160).

Did I work PT0S and HK0NA on 160?  Yes.  VERY lucky.  Have I worked JA or
VK/ZL on the 80 or 160?  JA on 80 once in 2008, never heard or worked at any
other time.

I am in residential area, not a lot of noise.  Flex 3000 receiver seems
pretty good, and I can hear fairly well on 80 and 160 with the inverted L.
Tried some beverages, but not enough room.  Tried some BOG's, but not enough
of them to really help me.

So here's my frustration: come late fall and early winter, I see cluster
spots for SE Asia and VK/ZL on 80 and 160 during grayline AND early
morning/late afternoon.  These are not just W3LPL, these are active
stations.  I don't hear a THING when these east coast US ops are reporting
hearing the DX.  I have an amp.if I could hear the stations then I could
work them!

So I have high expectations.  I spoke with Dick on Friday.  If I get half
the satisfaction from the system that I did from the terrific customer
service, then I will be happy.  I just want to be able to HEAR the DX on the
low bands that I cannot hear now.

So I ordered the Hi-Z 4 system, with spacing at 60 foot per corner.  I am
hoping for a terrific listening experience this winter.  Thanks to all for
the guidance and encouragement.  I will keep you Elmers and gurus updated as
this newbie to Top Band proceeds forward.

Mark Lunday, WD4ELG
Greensboro, NC  FM06be
wd4elg@arrl.net
http://wd4elg.blogspot.com