Re: Topband: Where to ground the Beverage feedline?

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Where to ground the Beverage feedline?
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:00:03 -0400
Only if this before buying all those expensive 3' Type 31 Ferrite Rings I could have saved some money. I though that having many 250-350 foot lengths of RG-6 feedlines running all over the radial system (ROG's or radials on the ground) as well as having nearby 80 and 40 meter verticals that during some contests where I am operating on 160 and a guest is operating via remote control on 80 and 40, that trapping as much RF from the Receive Only coax shields made sense. on some Beverages I would get a de-sense making copy of weak signals very problematic. So I installed 12 turns on a 3 inch ferrite on both sides of a common ground bus and several ground rods outside and about 20 feet from the shack. I also have inline a KD9SV band pass filter with the Beverage bank output and now it is possible to co-exist with other operators on higher bands running full power.

Maybe getting a higher quality flooded coax meant for direct burial would have been a better way to go but this is not convenient with the low cost of cable TV RG-6 even here. The coax shield at the feed transformer on both the single wire and reversible Beverages is not grounded, only the Beverage side secondary has a ground connection.

So now I am not sure if I have really been wasting time this way. f it helps the debate I plan to take a very noisy Chinese switching supply running from a car battery and an 800 watt inverter and lay it running on several RG6 runs coming back to the shack at about 200 feet away while checking the difference in noise reduction.

I thought that these toroid rings, although expensive, would buy me so isolation from cable induce noise, whatever the source. Winding some turns through these toroids of the AC power cable on the wife's entertainment center as made all IX vanish in the living room. But if it was wrong to buy all these type 31 ferrite rings, keep you eyes on e-Bay soon.

Herb, KV4FZ