Re: Topband: Toroidal common mode choke

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Toroidal common mode choke
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:48:44 -0500
What I like about some of the #31 stuff is that I can get those large
clamp-ons, wind a particular kind of conductor through it, and then put it
up on my analyzer and "tune" that nice resistance hump.  This has allowed
me to some very effective *targeted* interceptions, which both stopped some
TV radiated stuff dead in it's tracks and kept RFI out of the entertainment
device.  #31 is really good stuff for low bands.

Replace existing #43 stuff that's working?  No way.  Do any NEW #43 stuff
for low bands?  No to that also.

The one place where getting the CM exactly right is coming from low level
RX antennas.  Seems some people shoot the cockroach with a 70mm cannon,
where others do nothing at all.

If we were in the business of measuring signal to noise as we were putting
these things in, we would know the CM noise we DID have, and also know when
we had pushed it well under incoming noise and stop at that point.

In these discussions what I see developing is some communal sense of where
that least best point is.  Good for that.

I do have a box of #31 FT240's which slowly but surely are getting used, by
myself and folks I help.  What I really like about them is how often just
one of the #31 devices does the trick.