Re: Topband: REVERSE BEACON

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: REVERSE BEACON
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:13:13 -0800
On 11/29/2012 2:55 AM, Larry Gauthier (K8UT) wrote:
Especially on 160 meters, results varied widely from day-to-day; even from hour-to-hour. You may find the same is true by looking back through the history of spots for your old antenna as you compare it to your new antenna.

I strongly agree. This spring, I used W6CQZ's JT65 RBN to try to compare two 160M antennas in real time. I did so by calling CQ for one sequence on one antenna, then the next sequence (2 minutes later) on the other antenna, and repeating that for at least an hour. On a typical evening, I got reports from receivers in MI, IN, and PA, (as well as some much closer) with QSB that was at least 2-3 times the difference in dB of the predicted difference between the two antennas. I put the numbers in a spreadsheet and carefully averaged them, and even after six or eight runs, was not able to establish that I was seeing the difference the model predicted. Depending on how the timing of the sequences correlated with the timing of the QSB, I could see the predicted 2dB advantage or not.

73, Jim K9YC