Re: Topband: November 30-December 2 -- ARRL 160 Meter Contest

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: November 30-December 2 -- ARRL 160 Meter Contest
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 09:43:18 -0500
On 2012-11-30, at 9:32 AM, Tree wrote:

> CAC members have a fairly limited role in situations like this.  They are
> only called in to "advise" on specific questions that are handed down from
> HQ.  They then go off and collect data on those questions.  Think of them as
> survey coordinators who collect data from members of their division and roll
> that up into a report that goes back to HQ.
>
> The ARRL160 isn't everyone's cup of tea.  It does however have a fairly long
> history as being an event that gets people in the USA and Canada fired up and
> on topband..  It is sort of like the ARRL Sweepstakes - but only on 160
> meters.  DX QSOs are allowed - but it isn't an international contest really.
> It is a very boring contest from Zone 21 for example.

Hi Tree,

My successful experiences with the CAC go back some 25 years ago...

I recall, in one instance I "petitioned" them to get away from using
"Maritimes" as a multiplier in some event (SS, maybe...?), in favour of
separate multipliers encompassing the individual Canadian provinces. In
another, I petitioned that for Field Day, Canada incorporate a unique
Canadian-style "Novice" station, to equate the American Novice allowance for
the event...

Both "motions" were passed in less than one year's duration.

One other time I even petitioned them to allow AM phone on the occasion of the
annual "Straight Key Night"! That idea was not adopted, but it did make it into
the minutes of one of the CAC meetings...!

The process I followed was simple enough: I simply sent snail-mails to the CAC
director, and the regional rep for my area. That's all it took...

But than was "then", and this is "now"---things change with time, I'm sure, and
not necessarily for the better, either...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ