Re: Topband: ARRL 160 contest

To: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160 contest
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 09:17:45 -0800
On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Shoppa, Tim <tshoppa@wmata.com> wrote:

Speaking of which... how do running stations monitor/switch between receive
> antennas
> on 160? Some may have them fed to diversity reception (left ear and right
> ear)
> but my primitive setup just has a foot pedal that lets me pick K9AY loop
> direction.
> For these guys who have twelve beverages, wow, I don't have that many feet!

Diversity sure helps.  This morning, I had my JA beverage in one ear and
the TX phased array
in the other.  If a weaker guy called from the east - I would have to
switch the beverage antenna
to copy him.  With the TX antenna - I could generally hear if someone was
calling.  Makes it
easy to give priority to a JA calling - since it shows up in a different
place in my head.

Tree N6TR