Re: Topband: Rationalizing my radial field through measurement

To: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Rationalizing my radial field through measurement
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 12:59:34 -0500
If I wanted to measure the radial and feedline AC current, not having any RF ammeters, I might just take a #47 lamp or other small pilot lamp and stick it in series with the radial and transmit into it. 40 mA will make a #47 lamp glow very dimly. Is this a good thing to check on?

Probably not with series lamps, unless the radial impedance is pretty high. The measuring device or system must not significantly change the series impedance of the path or it will alter the results.

If I find that some radials don't carry enough current to light up the lamp... is that a sign that the low current radial is not needed?

Usually, but it also depends. Radials can have standing waves. What we measure at one point might not be what is happening 1/10th wave away.

If other radials are carrying way more than average current... is this a sign I need more radials in that direction? Or is it the other way around? Or is this all academic and I just need another few thousand feet of copper wire? :-)

I use one of these:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-854

I designed that device to measure very low current levels, and (if they calibrate it correctly and still build it the same) to be accurate. It also does not change the circuit much.

It's really a handy device for measuring current, it has a very wide dynamic range.

I'm just not sure if, for what you are doing, it is necessary. I'd just use as many radials as I could as straight and long as possible, but not over a quarter wave or more than 30-40. I think sometimes we make too much worry or magic over things. :-)