Re: Topband: Patience in ARRL 160 Contest

To: "'k8fc@k8fc.com'" <k8fc@k8fc.com>, "'tree@kkn.net'" <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Patience in ARRL 160 Contest
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 12:30:35 +0000
I think it depends on how much you think you "own" the run frequency.

If you really feel you own it worldwide, no need to send your call as part of
the exchange while running. Or his call after its been established.

(Obvious exception is sprints, SS, other exchanges that require it. But also as
obviously N6RK's post is inapplicable in detail except for overall urging
"stick to good form".)

If you feel doubtful you own the run frequency but don't want the competition
to know it, again no need to send your own call in the exchange. Don't show any
weakness. You may get some busted QSO's but if you are running most of the
time, you will get the caller again later if he didn't think he worked you. At
which point you just work him again, and DO NOT DO THIS "DUPE" THING. Unless it
is an hour of fresh meat in SS, it faster to just work him again.

One sign that there's another runner on your freq, maybe you can't hear, is
dupes or callers being strangely out of phase. Of course clueless callers may
be out of phase just because they are clueless, too. If he's not in supercheck
partial, he's probably new to contesting.

A big string of dupes? You just got spotted with a busted call! Be 100% about
ID'ing after every QSO and don't be surprised if this takes many minutes to
clear.

Tim N3QE