Re: Topband: one- way propagation

To: "'Doug Renwick'" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>, "'Robert Briggs'" <vk3zl@bigpond.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: one- way propagation
From: "N4IS" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 20:52:05 -0500
Doug

Nope, Nope.  I am a firm believer in one-way propagation on 160m, having
witnessed it many times.

Can we  agree, that we disagree.?

When the signal is going up the polarization does not matter because after
the first refraction the signal become elliptical, that's why the DX station
independent of the polarization of the signal arriving here , always can
copy me. I also witnessed many times the DX signal arriving only horizontal,
including signals from.

If the DX signal is arriving horizontal you won't be able to copy using your
4 SQ. even a high dipole does not do it because the dipole has no
directivity, The RDF is very low, a dipole  is not a receiver antenna.

The fact you can't copy the signal does not mean that it is not there. It is
special true for LP when I can copy signals very strong on the horizontal WV
via SSW and not a single beep on the vertical HF, During the last 2 season I
worked XU7ACY on 160m  over 15 times (logging a QSO) ,and heard him way over
60 times, only with horizontal polarization.

Same thing happened several times with Bobby VK3ZL, and it is not the local
noise level.

73's
JC
N4IS