Re: Topband: Fw: Not so Boring report

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: Not so Boring report
From: Bill Whitacre <bw@his.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 10:02:14 -0500
That's interesting Bruce.  I'm a BC DXer and just got back from a week at
Quoddy House -- last private residence before the West Quoddy Head lighthouse.

Lots of room for antennas and at the moment I'm working with Neil Kazaross on
testing some of his EZNEC designs:

<http://realmonitor.com/QH3/DKAZ_2_sizes.pdf>

While at Quoddy House I had, at one time or another, 3 DKAZ antennas up -- one
pointing 330 deg, one at 155 and 'the workhorse' at 60 deg.

Lots of TAs, some LatAms of interest and even a few TPs -- Japan-774, Korea-972
and China-1593.

Interesting thing is that all the TPs came in much better on the 60 deg antenna
than the 330 degree one!

This morning, after I got back home to Alexandria, VA I got the
first-of-the-season 'trace' [waterfall mode on a Perseus receiver in 'reverse
x-ray' mode] of a TP carrier on 972 ... and that too was using the TA beam of a
4-element Wellbrook phased delta array rather than the 'usual' place I find TPs
-- facing North.

Interesting propagation.

BTW, on the way to Quoddy House - down South Lubec Road off of Hwy 189 - there
is a pretty impressive antenna farm -- a few 100' towers and lots of HF yagis.
Anybody know who this might be?  Be nice to talk to another radio person on
those lonely, short winter afternoons 'down east.'

---