Re: Topband: Elevated Radials Questions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials Questions
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 20:20:12 -0500

I also found the 2005 thread "tuning elevated radials" on this
reflector quite informative.

One thing that stands out is that I may be better off with more than
7 shorter than 130' radials.

Note - if the radials are not "tuned", that is do not supply the
"missing half" of the resonant antenna, the vertical and "T" will
need to be adjusted to make up the difference.  There may be some
advantages to using shorter radials and a longer/taller vertical/T
in that the current node will move up the vertical (getting it
farther away from the lossy "dirt") and the E/I ratio at the feed
point will change raising the feed (not radiation) resistance which
may make the antenna easier to feed.

N7LF's work also shows that more elevated radials are better than
fewer.  Since the losses are a function of the square of the field
intensity, spreading the E field more evenly over a larger area
reduces losses by decreasing the peak field intensity.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV