Re: Topband: KLM antennas on shunt fed towers

To: <ron.e.spencer@gmail.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: KLM antennas on shunt fed towers
From: john battin <jbattin@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 11:33:41 -0600
There is a problem.  I had a 4 ele 40 and 5 ele 20m klm on a loaded tower. I
had a coax balun on the 40 ...... arced through the insulation where it was
taped to the boom and the neighbors reported to me there was a fire on my
tower. The coax was crisp.
The 20m beam had a klm balun and it failed .... not so dramatic ... but it
failed.  I grounded the DE on both antennas at their center... made no
difference to their performance that I could tell... and the problem was gone.
I had to re-tune the tower because of the increased top loading.

John K9DX