Topband: Power Line Noise Detecting

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Power Line Noise Detecting
From: THOMAS M GREENWAY <k4pi@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 12:57:36 -0800 (PST)
Good job up to the last step.  After getting where I think I have the pole with
the VHF TRF receiver I use a Ultrasonic detector that was shown in QST by
W1TRC.  It will enable you to 100 % verify the problem is on the pole you
suspect.  You  can actually hear the arc if it is in line of site of the mic.
I had been fooled a couple of times using the VHF antenna thinking I had the
right pole and the Ultrasonic found it was actually an adjacent pole.  The
power company also use these but a much more expensive model.  The W1TRC can be
built for under $100.  There could possibly be a condition where the arc is
internal to the transformer or on top of an item where the mic can't hear it
but so far it has worked 100 % for me over many years.  73 Mike K4PI
Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge coming on December 29th.