Re: Topband: A 160 Meter antenne puzzle

To: "Glenn Biggerstaff" <ww4b73@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A 160 Meter antenne puzzle
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 17:28:49 -0500
I am only moving my finger a fraction of an inch and my hand not at all when this happens .The feed lines are disconnected when this is going on .There is no dc continuity between the antenna and any mounting hardware or th>>>>

You have the very high impedance part of the antenna near the post. This is part of the reason I always use large hats, which self-resonate the antenna near 3.6 MHz. With no hat and a 30 ft vertical above the loading, the antenna has an almost triangular current distribution, so voltage gets pretty high. You didn't say (or I missed) the length of the post, but impedance problems like that are also aggravated by post height. If the post was 8 feet above ground, that would be a substantial fraction of element length.

Not using a hat on a short vertical is just generally a bad idea. Not using a hat makes the antenna behave more and more like a mobile whip as you go down in frequency. It's a good design esthetically, but a bad design electrically.

Insulate the element like you have 50 kV at every point (even though you don't) and it will start to stabilize with moisture and other stray effects. This includes insulation of the entrance to the box containing the loading coil. As long as the coil is inside a dry large metal box and stable mechanically (low temperature coefficient), it won't detune with weather.

Things are a whole lot better and easier electrically with the element self resonant at 80 meters or lower by virtue of element length and a hat.

e post .I disconnected the base loading and put the analyzer on it and it is resonant at about 8 mhz and touching the post causes no change with this setup . There are eight 30 foot radials laying on the ground and a 2 inch wide copper strap about 3 foot long in the hole that the 4x4 is in . What is going on here and should I make an effort to limit the coupling between the 4x4 and the antenna?

On 8 MHz the base impedance is low. That makes the impedance low, and altering the electric field near the low impedance point has minimal effect. Almost any insulation or dielectric is good enough. On 16 MHz, you could be back to the same problem you have on 160, because base impedance would be high again (assuming a thin element).

73 Tom
Topband Reflector