Re: Topband: 160 shunt fed tower update

To: ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 shunt fed tower update
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:52:49 -0700
On 01/11/2013 04:32 PM, ZR wrote:

I dont know what you are using for 80M Steve and why all the feeds, etc
are located at the top of the tower.

In the 80's I had a 100' Rohn 25 with a stack of yagis and shunt fed on
160 which worked well once I went to 4' x 50' galvanized 2"x4" rabbit
fencing running from the base as spokes and with lots of interconnecting
wires between the sections.

Then I worked on improving my 80M signal with an inverted vee, 3
switched slopers and a delta loop.

It's all about topography for me. I live on a hilltop in SW NM. It's nothing but rocks and essentially no ground moisture. However, in most directions I have 400 feet of dropoff within 1/4 mile. At the top of the tower I have a 2 element wire beam on a 34 foot boom, switchable NE/SW. Orthogonal to that is an inverted-vee oriented SE/NW. With the dropoff, I suspect the effective height is much more than 100 feet, so horizontal polarization, with reduced dependency on the crummy ground, works well.

73,
Steve, N2IC
Topband Reflector