Re: Topband: Coupla things

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Coupla things
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 18:23:40 +0000
I didn't notice the keyclicks so bad, but what did bother me was one local who
had an incredible amount of (?) phase noise (it was keyed broadband noise plus
whiny synth noise) up and down from his very enthusiastic CQ'ing, and a number
of guys who had some pretty bad 120Hz ripple, bad enough their sigs were most
of a kHz wide.

There was one very loud guy in new england Sunday AM, who for the life of me I
could not copy his call when my RX antenna was pointed at him (my memory was
jarred by someone talking about "UFO" sounds), but when I pointed away he
sounded just fine. I'm guessing some sort of multipath. It's more than just the
ghostly sound of a local when the the band is "being long", my guess is
something is actually happening to dynamically shift phase so much that it
sounded like the reflections are an audibly different different tone.

Tim N3QE
Topband Reflector