Re: Topband: RX/TX Antenna switching

To: cris blak <cyo3fff@yahoo.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RX/TX Antenna switching
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:02:49 +0000
I find it ironic that when I was a kid we all built T/R switches to use a
single antenna with our separate Transmitter and Receiver.

Today we build a switch to use two antennas to interface with our fancy pants
transceivers :-)

1: All but the small or entry level rigs already have a RX antenna input.
2: If you don't have a RX antenna input, then you can put a T/R relay on
transceiver output.
3: Relay does not have to be fancy. Small 12VDC relays with contacts rated at
several amps work fine (typical street cost, a dollar or two). High power
coaxial relays seem completely unnecessary here. Remember at 100W levels the
typical RF currents and voltages will be less than a few amps and less than a
few hundred V.
4: Amp key line from the rig works well to drive the T/R relay. AFAIK all
transceivers since the 1970's have an amp key line.
5: If you have an amp, the T/R relay can sit between rig and amp. This way the
relay is only handling the lower power level. Again no need for fancy relays.
6: If (4) you will probably find that you can have QSK on 160M without having
QSK in the amp - again gets down to the vagaries of PA vs T/R switch timing.
Ironically I use my rigs "amp key" line to key the T/R relay at QSK rate, and
my K1EL keyer "PTT" output to key the amp with hang time so its relays do not
click on every dit.

Also... on a more interesting antenna switching contest, to switch between
multiple receive antennas during a contest, I find it very natural to use
footswitches to select receive antenna. This lets me comfortably switch receive
directions after every CQ or while scanning the bands in S&P.

And I think I saw you reversebeacon spotted during the contest, but the only YO
I worked was YO8DOH.

Tim N3QE