Re: Topband: CQ 160 Contest _ updated

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160 Contest _ updated
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:17:37 +0000
The reason we have split on 40M is only lack of a coordinated band plan between
EU and W/VE. It is far and away not a desirable situation. I have been a ham
who regards 40M as his home stomping grounds for (lets count them) 5 different
calendar decades now. I have seen the SW BC stations mostly leave, and this has
helped enormously. I hope that before I die that 40M bandplans are
rationalized. Even though the split is most obvious on phone, it unnaturally
constrains CW operations too. Holding a run freq without a kilowatt in a 40M DX
test is nigh impossible and this hurts rates on both sides of the pond.

The 1810 "wall" is unfortunate for EU's. On our side of the pond, we have 160M
phone guys from 1855 or so up, and that's less of a wall but still there.
Again, we need rationalized band plans. Every time I meet anyone having
anything to do with IARU/ITU I ask, "what can I do to help?", and I will now
include 160M rationalization as well as 40M rationalization.

I would not encourage split on 160 during a contest except maybe for
DXpeditions that actually followed a well announced narrow split. Certainly
having two dxpeditions split and within a few kHz of each other, is a complete
disaster, even on the high bands. There's no good reason why a DXpedition
should mess up 5, 10, 15 kc of spectrum during a high usage period. A think a
narrow split could work.

P.S.... Todd WD0T (SD) and others are on 80M CW every Thursday night (your
Friday AM) circa 0250Z in the "NS sprint". Sometimes we have EU participants
join in, and appreciate them!

Tim N3QE