Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL
From: Rudy Bakalov <r_bakalov@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 22:34:15 -0500
Tom,

You got my question right- I was asking about replacing the vertical in a
8-circle with a loop. As simple as that. My plan is to purchase a commercial
system and was wondering if the system can be improved by using different
elements. Looks like the answer is NO.

Great discussion, though. Gives me some further reading.

Rudy N2WQ

On Feb 13, 2013, at 8:20 PM, "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
> with all my due respect,
> the "elongated" loops as you define them, and K9AY loop in particular, is
> very useful in arrays like 4square or even 8 circle BSEF, IF your switch
> the loop`s patterns (4 at a time in a 4square) synchronously with the array
> direction axis>>>
>
> Of course we can, if we have multiple loops at each element and select the
> correct directional loop.
>
> We could also make a four square of four squares.
>
> All of these are the equivalent of sixteen elements.
>
> I was speaking of using a single loop to replace each element in a standard
> four square or 8 circle size, which I understood was the context of his
> question. Perhaps I misunderstood his question?
>
> His question was:
>
>> I have been wondering if the antenna element in phased arrays could be a
>> loop rather than a vertical. My thinking is that the loop has some level of
>> directivity so phasing two of them should result in better side lobe
>> suppression compared to a vertical. Is there any merit to this thought?
>> Specifically, will I see better RDF numbers if I were to use loop elements
>> in any of the active 8 and 4 circle systems (e.g., DX Engineering, Hi-Z
>> Antennas, etc.)?
>
> It does not appear to me he was talking about arrays of directional arrays
> with wide spacing in cells, but rather substituting a single loop at each
> element in place of a vertical.
>
> 73 Tom
Topband Reflector