Re: Topband: Genius I tells ya, pure Genius

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Genius I tells ya, pure Genius
From: wa3mej@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 00:12:14 +0000 (UTC)

On 2013-02-12, at 9:37 PM, Gary Smith wrote:

> Calling DX on your dummy load means there are two dummys in the
> shack...

In 73 I moved into an appartment that myself and WA3UEV shared. The appartment
was of course owned by another local ham WA3RBE.  Back in those days I had a
Central electronics 20 and didnt have much money so I used to hook a 100w light
bulb to the antenna to test the output.. works pretty well (not constant
impedance however) and gives nice pretty indication when power is applied.. not
very quantatative or qualitative however. One day I was 20m doing that and
testing the transmitter while signing my call and low and behold a G3 called me
back.  I nearly fell out of the chair because 20 watts didnt work G3's very
often even with an antenna.... go figure.. I think I worked several more
stations with that light bulb ..

Jim WA3MEJ

Long Live Seal Team VI

http://www.qsl.net/wa3mej/index.htm