Re: Topband: Thanks!

To: 'TopBand' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Thanks!
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 07:41:58 -0700
On 5/21/2013 1:18 PM, ZR wrote:
Are you now claiming that the thousands of bead choke baluns in use for decades at HF and 6M dont work?

I have published extensively on this, first in 2005 in a peer reviewed AES paper, and later in my RFI tutorial. All of this work is on my website. W1HIS published his work on this in 2006. A few years ago, an engineering supervisor at CIA sent me work from an US Army research group prepared in the 70s reaching the same conclusions as I had. And literature searches for my AES paper found references (in a European ferrite manufacturer's applications notes) to the importance of resistance in chokes as far back as the 50s.

I suspect that those who have been happy with the results in mimizing feedline radiation would heartily disagree....

Many people believe many things that are not true. Many false beliefs are based on a grain of truth. The generalized assumption in ham literature has been that 500 ohms choking Z is sufficient to prevent pattern distortion caused by feedline radiation, but W1HIS showed that increasing choking Z to the range of 5,000 ohms can significantly reduce receive noise. When I saw his paper, I immediately tried multi-turn chokes on an antenna that was picking up a lot of noise. The choke reduced the noise by nearly 10 dB. Since I published my work, hundreds of hams have told me they have had similar results.

73, Jim K9YC
All good topband ops know how to put up a beverage at night.
Topband Reflector