Re: Topband: PHASING SHUNT FED TOWERS

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: PHASING SHUNT FED TOWERS
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 21:43:33 -0700
I have a system with two gamma matched towers that works pretty well.  I
did all I could to make them appear to be similar.  The gamma dimensions
and capacitance are identical - and I used a loading wire on top of one of
them  - making it longer and longer until the match was similar.

After that - I used current probes to check the current levels in the tower
- and they looked fairly close.  Then I went driving around a few miles
away checking the pattern and found it to be very nice.  I see probably 15
or 20 db F/B ratio from the end fire pattern.  It has some gain in the
broadside pattern as well.  For awhile - I had relays setup so I could
detune one of the towers and compare signals with just one tower fed.  Once
I had confidence in the system - I removed that feature.

K6SE was the first guy I saw doing this - with much shorter towers than
mine.

So - it can be tricky - but if your towers are pretty similar in dimensions
and you can use identical parameters for the gamma match - then you might
be surprised how easy it is to get working.

Tree N6TR