Topband: COMTEK CONTROLLER

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: COMTEK CONTROLLER
From: "Bill and Liz" <magoo@isp.ca>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 18:43:12 -0400
Can someone please advise me on the correct method of setting up a pair of verticals to be used with the Comtek phasing controller? I have heard two methods: (1) tune each vertical without the controller to approximately 25 khz below desired frequency with the second vertical disconnected (2) tune each vertical to approximately 25 khz below desired frequency with the vertical to be tuned connected to the controller, the second vertical disconnected and the analyzer fed through a random length of coax long enough to reach either vertical element.

I recently acquired one of these units to try. I have a perfectly good working homebrew phasing controller with a good working phased pair, but I am a cat and curiosity has got the better of me!

When I try method #1 I can get the SWR in either endfire position down to about 1.5:1 with broadside position at about 1.7:1.

Using the second method I get about 1.2:1 end fire but 2.5:1 broadside. Also, using the second method my verticals, which were resonant at around 1805 when checked directly at the base of the antenna turn out to be resonant over 100 khz higher when measured through the Comtek box, and I needed to add some length to get the SWR down to acceptable levels.

Anyone got some insight on this?

Bill, VE3NH

-----
No virus found in this message.