Re: Topband: Problems with my DX Engineering RTR-1 receive antenna switc

To: "Mark Lunday" <mlunday@nc.rr.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Problems with my DX Engineering RTR-1 receive antenna switch
From: "GeorgeWallner" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:50:21 -0400
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 20:22:45 -0400
 "Mark Lunday" <mlunday@nc.rr.com> wrote:
I am wondering what other folks do for their receive antennas to protect
their rigs.

Mark,

I always add the following to my RX System:

(Loop or Beverage) Use an isolation transformer. I add a relay at the tranformer's primary that disconnects the wire and shorts out the transformer when the station is off, or during transmit. A 75 V gas discharge arrester is also across the primary (high impedance side) of the transformer. I add common mode chokes and several turns of coax and then ground the RX Ant coax outer braid just past the common mode choke and also at the entrance to the house. I have a second common mode choke and gas discharge arrester at the antenna selector panel in the shack. I make sure that the grounding is good.

My TX verticals' base is grounded using motorized actuators connecting 1.5 inch wide grounding braids whenever the station is off. Additionally, a 15,000 V vacuum relay disconnects the antenna from the antenna tuner.

Sounds excessive? Before I had all these measures I would lose an RX input or parts of the antenna tuner a couple of times a year. My QTH is in Florida and I take direct hits a couple of times a year. I have learned these tricks the hard way!

An absolute overkill is about the only way you have a chance if your QTH is in a place where you get hit often.

73 and GL,

George,
AA7JV
Topband Reflector