Re: Topband: Symbol Rates (was [ARRL-LOTW] BoD votes LoTWinitiatives)

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Symbol Rates (was [ARRL-LOTW] BoD votes LoTWinitiatives)
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:19:29 +0000
I think proposed symbol rate verbiage is inspired by digital voice technology.
As long as digital voice doesn't come to CW bands I'm OK. But I do not see
anything in the language that would ban digital voice in CW bands, am I wrong?
I am strongly against digital voice taking up bandwidth on current CW bands. I
am fine with digital voice being used on the phone bands. I would discourage
(through bandplans and international coordination) digital voice from EU in the
upper parts of US 40M CW band.

I have nothing against low-bandwidth digital modes like JT65 in the 1838-1840
region. But I do strongly encourage ARRL to work with EU societies and
rationalize bandplans especially on 40M where the CW sliver is already so tiny
tiny and shared with PSK31 in 7035-7040. That's not so much a FCC action as it
is a ARRL or IARU action.

Tim N3QE