Re: Topband: Topband Inv-L Joy

To: "Gary@ka1j.com" <Gary@ka1j.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Inv-L Joy
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 14:18:12 +0000
I myself, tune my 160 antenna with a simple L-matching network at the base. I
used EZNEC to model the antenna, and an online L-network calculator, and it was
spot-on. I was very impressed. Since you can measure the antenna right at the
base with your antenna analyzer, you can do even better. Your match is almost
perfect already, it should only take a moderate matching network.

You must have a really long coax run if you are getting so much loss with such
a close match already.

For DX'ing, a better target frequency is probably 1820kc rather than 1802kc,
but with a moderate matching network you'll get low SWR for many 10's of kHz
around either side of the center freq.

Online L-network calculator I used:
http://home.sandiego.edu/~ekim/e194rfs01/jwmatcher/matcher2.html

Tim N3QE