Re: Topband: Wireless Internet RFI Issue

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Wireless Internet RFI Issue
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:32:34 -0700
On 7/29/2013 11:11 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:
That almost always is a switching power supply issue. The normal mode of excitation is differential between the power mains and other cables. My neighbor's system bothered me.

The BEST solution

is to replace the switching PSU with a linear PSU having a suitably voltage and current rating. Most of us have a box full of these vintage wall warts laying around, and if we don't, they're easy to buy cheap at thrift stores and hamfest flea markets.

The only tricky part is mating with whatever connector the equipment mfr has chosen to use for power. I solve that by cutting both PSU cables and installing Power Pole connectors on the one coming from the linear PSU and the one with the equipment power connector.

If, for one reason or another, I can't do that, I plug the switcher into one of several outlet boxes that I've built with a Corcom or Delta RF filter.

to this is a lightning protection type outlet strip that (if it does not have them) you add capacitors to. I used a system that had F connectors, eithernet, telco, and power.

Lightning protection type outlet strips have MOVs, and MOVs used in this manner are often the CAUSE of lightning damage if things plugged into them are interconnected with equipment grounded at a different point, even when the equipment at the other outlet also is "protected" by an MOV. . Examples where this can be a problem are computers at different locations connected by Ethernet cables, computers connected to radios (which must be bonded to station ground), etc. The problem within a station can be avoided by bonding between all of the interconnected equipment and the station ground with short, fat copper, but that won't help with stuff plugged into an outlet strip plugged into a different wall outlet.

Ah, you say, all those green wires are bonded together back at the breaker panel, and the panel is grounded. Yep, but there's lots of inductance in those connections, and a bit of resistance, so when the MOV shoves the lightning spike onto the green wire(s), the potential difference between interconnected equipment can easily be enough to fry that gear in a lightning event. We learned about that in the pro audio world almost 20 years ago, and I've seen many reports of damage to computers connected by wired Ethernet.

73, Jim K9YC
Topband Reflector