Re: Topband: Signal attenuation from foliage near 160m antenna

To: "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Signal attenuation from foliage near 160m antenna
From: "Jim Monahan" <K1PX@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 21:03:56 -0400
I live on several acres that is a watershed area with a relatively high fresh
water
table.

Almost all of the land is densely populated with trees and some ranging up to
a 100' or more.

For transmit antennas on 160, I have an inverted L that goes up to 85' with
30 elevated radials. And, I also have a horizontal center fed Zepp at 65'.

The nearest tree to the vertical section is about 40 ft.

The foliage, from May to November, is so dense that it appears as a wall of
green
from my house.

When screwing in standoffs into the trees, often, especially during the foliage
season,
water usually drips out of the openings.

The difference in performance from the winter to the summer between the two
antennas
is significant.

Out to 500 miles or so, in the winter, the two antennas are approximately equal
as a point
of comparison.

In the summer, the horizontal antenna at approximately the same 500 mile
distance is
about 8 to 10 dB better.

While this is clearly subjective, the results seem to coincide pretty much with
the
reports from others.

Jim, K1PX

K1PX at msn.com