Re: Topband: RX antenna transformer winding (pure resistance transformat

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: RX antenna transformer winding (pure resistance transformation issues)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 12:56:18 -0700
On 8/20/2013 11:31 AM, Don Kirk wrote:
But I saw the complex impedance phenomena even with smaller diameter cores
(using different grade of material), and here is my actual FT 50-43 data as
an example.

One missing piece in understanding what you're seeing is the fact that mu (permeability) is a complex number, u' +ju'', where u' represents the inductive component and u'' represents the loss component for series equivalent circuit elements. Here's a link to the Fair-Rite data sheet for #43 material.

http://www.fair-rite.com/newfair/materials43.htm

Note that at 2 MHz, u' is about 800 and u'' is about 180. The fact that mu is complex means that coupling between the windings will have phase shift! Not only that, but loss in the core is coupled into the winding as resistance, which, because it is magnetically coupled, is multiplied by the square of the turns.

Here's a link to the listing of all their materials, with links to corresponding data sheets for each.

http://www.fair-rite.com/newfair/materials.htm

73, Jim K9YC

Topband Reflector