Re: Topband: RX antenna transformer winding

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: RX antenna transformer winding
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:48:55 +0000
>From recent postings:

> I started using Teflon sleeves in windings because I ran out of small
Teflon
wire wrap wire I was using. Without Teflon on the wires, and with normal
mag
wire, the enamel was easily scratched. Not only that, lightning would
punch
through from enamel to core, or from wire to wire.

** Telon is easily nicked, the type of wire used in modern vehicles is
very
robust but with the sleeves plain ole magnet wire works well and allows
even
smaller winding bundles.

RE: binocular cores and sleeving....
I didn't have the right size of Teflon sleeves in my junque drawer, so I
cut
appropriate lengths of used soda straws from McD's, slit them lengthwise,
then cut off the excess (lengthwise).  Then I curled the cut straw
sections
and pushed them through the cores.  The result is a near perfect fit
with a slight overlap at the lengthwise cuts.  The overlaps can
be oriented toward the "outside" of the core so the wire won't
have a tendancy to open up the overlap.

73,
Charlie, N0TT
Topband Reflector