Re: Topband: 160 meter activity

To: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 meter activity
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:16:36 -0500
Hi Bill,

You are right about the antennas on some RBN stations missing signals. I
wouldn't mind running a 160m skimmer on the RBN myself here, perhaps
somehow using all four directions my Beverage antennas simultaneously.
Maybe it would be too much trouble. In any case, I would need help with at
least the software for doing that. I posted an inquiry at
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,91114.0.html about just
making that arrangement available through WebSDR; but if we could figure
out how to do it, it might be nice to have all four directions available on
the RBN (at least on 160). But I see problems doing that, such as duplicate
posts to the RBN from the same signal picked up by different directions.

Sorry I misunderstood you. :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Yes..I thought everybody who knows what RBN is also knows that the
> stations *automatically* post the information on the RBN server. I thought
> I made an efficient use of words. I did make the call and was not heard. I
> did see some activity on the RBN and I was able to hear the North American
> stations that were posted there AND I heard one or two that were NOT posted
> there. Do they call the receive stations "skimmers"? I'm sure the skimmers
> are 'plagued' with the same noise problems all of us face. And there is the
> matter of 'lobes' in the antenna patterns - intentional or not. There are a
> lot of reasons why skimmers might miss some signals. One of them is low
> power and another could involve the antenna. It may not radiate well and it
> may not radiate well in the direction of skimmers that could otherwise
> hear. Not all of the skimmers are on 160 meters.

Topband Reflector