Re: Topband: and KDKA

To: "Mike\(W5UC\) & Kathy \(K5MWH\)" <w5uc@suddenlink.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: and KDKA
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 10:04:56 -0400
WLW shared the frequency with other stations, I believe one in Canada. I'm pretty sure that is why they had to use a directional pattern at night. Throughout a long history, WLW shared (and time shared) channels.

The tower is a diamond shaped half wave, which makes it electrically shorter than a half wave.

Another interesting point -- WLW was a 50kW clear channel station, and one of a handful that had their frequency to themselves at night for all of North America, which is why the Commission might have considered licensing them for 500kW. As I recall, the other might have been WOAI, on 1200 kHz.

73, Jim K9YC
Topband Reflector

Hi Jim:

For Years I have believed that WSM, 650, was in that category. Goodness knows, We can't miss the GRAND OLE OPRY"

73,
Mike, W5UC

Topband Reflector